Saturday, June 6, 2009

I'm Here!!!

I feel like I have so much to tell, but I am having such a hard time finding words. God has already been so good to me in preparation by providing financial support and sending so many people to encourage me and pray. Rachel and I have already had so many adventures..I don't know where to begin! We survived the 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg...sitting directly in front of the lavatories. It wasn't too smelly. We had plenty of things to distract us with the little TV that was on the back of each seat that you could play games on, watch movies, and track the flight. We didn't get much sleep because the seats were tight and there was not much room to spread out.



When we landed, it took us a while to get through customs and find Cat, a volunteer from England, who was picking us up. We are still settling in to our room, but we are moving to an apartment-style flat in about a week and a half. Thursday was our first full day in South Africa. It was a very overwhelming day with grocery shopping, having an ATM machine eat my debit card and getting it canceled, and getting to know the people and place we are staying. Getting to meet the aunties, uncles, and babies has made everything worthwhile. Everyone is so sweet and welcoming.

Yesterday (Friday), we had orientation starting at 7 in the morning. Rachel and I will be working with 12 "big babies" (3 months-1 1/2 years). They all have such different personalities and are so sweet. I wish I could post pictures, but because of privacy laws, I can't post any of their faces. We start out at 7 waking them up, changing nappies (diapers), bathing, and dressing them. They all hang out in a big room with toys and blankets all over the floor. We feed them, play with them, and love on them until they go for a nap from 10-12. During this time, we clean up and have tea time with the other aunties and uncles. Yes, Rachel and I are called "Auntie Rachel" and "Auntie Katherine". Around 11 we have a devotion time. At the end of all the devotions, we gather in a circle holding hands and all pray aloud at one time. This is so cool because everyone is praying in a different language. It's so amazing to think about how God understands each one of us. Around 12, we start getting the babies out of bed and change nappies, feed them lunch, and just hang out. Sometimes we take a couple out to play on the playground or a walk around the house. At 3, we change them into their pajamas. Some days they have music time or a couple of them get to go on outings with some of the aunties or uncles. After Rachel and I have been here for a month, we will be able to take out some of the kids for a picnic or to the zoo. We do one last feeding and chnage nappies one last time arund 5, then as the babies fall asleep, we put them in bed. They are all in bed by 6. At 6, the night shift comes in and we give a report of how the day was and anything important they should know about a particular child. We pray together, then we will be free for the rest of the evening to rest or hang out with any of the other volunteers that are here.


Also on Friday, we went out with Stephanie (the Baby House 1 manager) to rent a car! Yes, I have driven on the streets of South Africa...on the left side of the car, on the left side of the road. It is really different, but very easy to get used to. It still seems so unreal that we are here driving around and getting immersed into their culture. Racehl is such an awesome friend and encourager. We work really well together, and I can't wait to spend the rest of my summer with her!


Door of Hope is such an amazing ministry that not only takes in and cares for newborns, babies, and toddlers, but they also reach out to the mothers of these children and do everything they can for them. Since 1999, over 700 children have come through the Door of Hope and about a quarter of them have been adopted. Two of the big babies are being adopted on Monday- one going to Holland, and the other going to Sweden. Two of the little babies will be moving up to our group.

I am so blessed and honored to be here! I love the feeling of rocking babies to sleep and getting to wake them up in the morning while they are still warm from being under the covers. I love the feeling of a baby pulling up on your leg so he can stand and get into your lap. I love to watch the babies drink from their bottles. I don't so much love getting puked on or changing nappies, but I love making the children feel loved. All the aunties and uncles here love the children so much and have a special connection with each.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. I have felt them from the time I left to even now as I am writing this. I ask that you continue to pray for Rachel and me as we start working on Monday. Pray also for the aunties and uncles, the children, and the people of Johannesburg. It amazed me to think how present God is here just as much as He is in the United States. God is sending people to the Door of Hope from England, the UK, Australia, Canada, and the United States to care for His children, and at the same time He is reminding me and opening my eyes to just how much He cares for me. How amazing and beautiful is the love of Christ!

I hope to update my blog and reply to emails at least once a week. Rachel and I are sitting in an internet cafe at The Glen Mall. When we move to another place in about a week and a half, there is a possibility we will have internet there!



7 comments:

  1. Yay! Sounds good Katherine!
    Love ya, and am continuing to pray for you! :)
    -Sarah C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katherine!
    It was so wonderful to talk to you and see your latest post. We are cheering you on! I am thinking about you and praying for you throughout each day. We enjoyed looking at Rachel's BLOG too. You are blessed with her as a friend in this mission. Kiss a baby for me!I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine!Sounds like everything is going good and you are getting all settled in. Sorry about your debit card:(. Enjoyed reading your blog. You'll be in our prayers.
    Love you, PaPa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine!
    This blog made me want to cry! You are going to have an amazing summer! I am so excited for you!

    I am continuing to pray for you! =)
    love and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  5. KWig!!! How awesome!

    God has already used you in some crazy awesome ways and this is only the beginning. WOW!!

    Love you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Katherine! Great post. I was so excited to see that you had updated. Be assured of my prayers for you. This is definitely the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooooo....you get to drive a sweet car in a foreign nation while i get to drive a sweet car in 9734957345 hours of traffic. awesome, just dandy. and, i get to bike around. so, when i come back...don't check out my buff legs too much alright! but anyways, i read your blog and got excited all over again about you and SA and what the Lord's doing there! i look forward to hearing more from your journeys!!

    ReplyDelete