Wednesday, May 5, 2010

56 days!

Guess what? I'm returning to Door of Hope in Johannesburg, South Africa this July…with my mom and sister!!! We are going to be leaving June 29 and returning August 1.

When I start thinking about how I'm going to be back at Door of Hope in just 56 days I get so overwhelmed and overcome with excitement and anticipation. Last summer, God completely amazed me with what He’s doing in South Africa. He is rescuing orphans and placing them in a safe and loving temporary home; He is loving on those orphans’ birth mothers and showing them hope and love; He is calling out forever families to take in and forever love these sweet babies; He is in the city showing hope to the hopeless, love to the hurting, strength to the weary, and peace to the restless. Since I've been back, I came across a song by Sara Groves called I Saw What I Saw. Here are just some of the lyrics-

I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it

Something on the road
Cut me to the soul

Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspires
Your face a memory
Your hope a fire
Your courage asks me what I'm afraid of
And what I know of love
And what I know of God

I cannot even begin to tell you how blessed and humbled that God has called and is calling me to be a part of this ministry. I can’t forget what I've seen and experienced. This past school year, God’s been really working in my heart and life and is without a doubt calling me to work and be a part of this kind of ministry- whether it be in a Door of Hope-type setting or in the States at an adoption agency. I can’t seem to get what I saw and felt out of my mind. When I reminisce about all the memories that I have from this past summer, I'm 95% of the time moved to tears (if you know me, you’ve probably seen this on more than one occasion…haha). These tears are the only way I feel that I can express my love for this new passion that God has placed on my heart. So, after I graduate in May 2011, I am planning on getting my Masters in Social Work!

All this to say…I'm SO EXCITED to be returning to Door of Hope in July!! I'm even more excited that I'm going to be sharing this experience with Mary and Mom! We will be taking turns updating the blog as the days get closer to our departure and while we are there.

We are collecting some items to take and give to Door of Hope:
  • Adoption outfits are the greatest need. For boys this is a collared shirt with pants and a smart sweater. For girls this is a dress with tights and a little jacket or cardigan. Outfits can be topped off with little shoes or slippers.
  • Boys’ winter outfits size 3-6 months is the biggest need, but any age through 18 months can be used.
  • Wash cloths
  • Bibs
  • Slippers or socks
  • Winter pajamas, 12 months to 5 years
  • Winter clothing 6-12 months
  • Or, you can just give us cash and we will purchase the items once we arrive in South Africa.

I ask that you begin to pray for:
  • The babies and toddlers at Door of Hope
  • The parents that give up their children to Door of Hope
  • The forever families that will adopt these dear ones
  • The Door of Hope caregivers
  • Our families at home while we are gone
  • Opportunities to share the love of Christ
  • Good health and safety
Thank you so much for your support!

Love in Christ,
Auntie Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment